What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are metal posts that hold a replacement tooth in position when the original tooth is too fragile to remain in the mouth. The dental implants act as a replacement for crowns and other such restorations. It is also a permanent fixture and is much more useful than the other restorative techniques. It is a pain-free process and it provides a long-lasting solution to a severe problem that many patients face.
How do Dental Implants work?
To create a dental implant for the patient, the dentist studies the tooth structure of the patient. The dentist makes an incision in the gum and a hole in the bone so that the dental implant can fit in it. The dental implant is perfectly constructed so that it can be filled in the hole. If the tooth structure is insufficient for the implant, an abutment is created to provide a framework upon which the dental implant is fitted to the tooth. The abutment forms a connection between the dental implant and the bone. The implant, in the form of a screw, is fitted into the drilled hole and is supported by the abutment. This procedure allows the implant to fuse with the bone so that it remains permanently fixed in the mouth. The dental implant is firm and permanent and it provides a wonderful replacement for the damaged tooth.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants are very useful for patients as a restorative procedure because:
- The implants provide stable support to the patient's teeth and reduce problems such as loosening of teeth.
- Dental implants form a suitable replacement for dentures. They are uniform and do not look unsightly.
- The implants help to make the patient's appearance look better and to give their smile a lift.
- The implants do not cause any damage to the underlying tooth structure and the bone.
- They do not cause any pain and the patient does not have to worry about regular replacement procedures.
If you require help to care for your damaged and decayed teeth, it is pertinent that you partake in the services of a qualified dentist. With the help and guidance of a professional, you will get the beautiful smile that you deserve.
Dr. Patrick Yee based in San Jose is a leading periodontal dentist based out of San Jose in California. Call us at (408) 243-3000 to schedule your dental appointment.